Events, speaker series, meetings, and other information for mcb postdocs will be posted here. We are also forming a directory of postdocs and their expertise and career interests. Please fill out the form if you are interested in being listed.
A friendly reminder that the next Post Doc Lunch Club will be this coming Friday (April 1st) in 434 Barker Hall at 12:00pm. This time, we'll talk about postdoc grants; specifically, we'll hear from current NRSA and K99 recipients. If you wonder when is the best time in your postdoc to apply for a K99 and if you want to hear about successful experiences getting a grant, you should come this friday!
We will have fellows sharing about their experience getting a K99:
-Andy Mehle (Doudna Lab)- "Regulating influenza polymerase structure and function by phosphorylation"
-Michael McMurray (Thorner Lab)- "Mechanisms of assembly and inheritance of yeast septin-containing structures"
and fellows speaking about their experience getting an NRSA:
-Rosie Alegado (King Lab)- "Molecular basis of bacterial-dependent colony formation in Choanoflagellates"
-Valerie O'Shea (Berger Lab)- "Investigation of DnaB helicase loading for initiating DNA replication"
-Neal Mankad (Toste Lab)- "Catalytic amination reactions utilizing bimetallic cooperativity"
. Please RSVP if you haven't yet and if you think you may come so that we can order enough food this time!
We're also looking for people interested in getting feedback on their future project ideas during the future postdoc lunch club "incubator series" sessions (in May, June, July, etc.).
The opportunities to present to the department (“seminar series”) will likely begin this summer starting June.
Looking forward to seeing you there!
Fred and Virginie
A friendly reminder that the next Post Doc Lunch Club will be held tomorrow- Friday (March 4th) in 434 Barker Hall at 12:00pm. This time around, we'll talk about the ins-and-outs of the academic job search. Discussions will include a small informal panel comprised of current postdocs on the job market including Michael McMurray (Thorner Lab), Ken Campellone (Welch Lab) and others! - as well as a faculty member who has served on several search committees (our very own David Bilder).
PS. Here are some highlights from the last lunch club:
1) People suggested many areas to help improve our postdoc experience. Based on these suggestions, several of your fellow postdocs have volunteered to help get the ball rolling. If you're willing and able to help out, or just have some ideas, shoot one of these guys an email:
- increase speaking opportunities - Rosie Alegado (King Lab)
- create a database of postdoc information - Leon Chan (Weis Lab)
- organize career development activities - Te-Wen Lo (Meyer Lab)
- schedule monthly happy hours - Aki Minoda (Karpen Lab)- organize a peer mentoring group for research-oriented academic job applicants for the fall 2011 cycle- Lucy O'Brien (Bilder Lab)
- organize working groups of postdocs currently writing fellowships, papers, grants...- Lazar Dimitrov (Schekman Lab)- design a website/wiki with all this information- Christina Whittle (Dernburg Lab)
2) Other suggestions in need of volunteers:
- create a welcome/orientation packet for new MCB postdocs
- manage a postdoc mailing list for announcements, events, etc
Fred and Virginie
The next PDLC will be held on November 6th in Barker 434.
Have any issue or topic you'd like to hear about? Let us know!
For problems with the website, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.